2/27/08

Strange thoughts...

I've often thought it was a big giant pain to be female...Females have the babies, stretch their bodies, have the equipment to feed them (so since I did it that way, I did all the nightly feedings, etc.), and sometimes it seems like we get stuck with more than 1/2 of the cleanup of bodily functions and fluids in the family, the childcare, the laundry, blah blah blah (even if we have great male companions, which I do). The males get to be fathers with not nearly as much bodily repercussion. So NOW, I'm facing the loss of the things that make a female a female - you'd think I, of all people, might be happy about this! (Or maybe I had a premonition that it was going to really suck for ME to be a female.)

I was looking at my cat today and I was oddly cheered that if I do have the genetic marker, I'd end up just like her - spayed. I assisted with so many spays over the years at the vet offices (wanted to be the one performing those surgeries in the future until a special baby came around and changed our lives forever!), and I'd see them all wake up, bleary-eyed and a little loopy. It wouldn't be long, though, before they were coming back for another checkup, all full of life and totally fine and cute. So instead of thinking of the possibility of having the ovaries removed, (getting ahead of myself here, as usual, but I like to prepare for the worst), I'm going to think of myself as being spayed.

A little aside - Emma's class may be in the lead for Jump Rope for Heart (if her information, or her relay of the information, is correct). I know that she raised $236 that night, and she said her class raised $536. I think that is so funny! I keep telling her that her family really loves her, but that we will probably not go all out in future years (telling her we were making up for her not doing it last year, etc. without mention that people probably just feel so sorry for her!). But who knows, maybe we will. That was the cause most dear to our hearts since the loss of my mom, but I imagine we'll be splitting between two causes from now on.

We Luckens really enjoy throwing money at our problems, though. I'd like to make a reference here to the 60 inch tv that Bill went out to buy instantly, the wig, the total lack of hesitation about the genetic test - $1000 is our expense, and we have good insurance coverage! Bill is also lying in front of a brand new, crazy, giant air cleaner which was delivered today. He is happy with his recent purchase, saying "I don't know about you, but I feel invigorated right now. Look at Bear (Nathan), he is investigating the fine device." Bill wanted to take a trip to Grand Cayman before the surgery, but I have to draw the line somewhere. I plan to be around for a long time and I can't have him wasting all of my retirement money because he is a little freaked out!

Holy Cow, the Luckens are about to have an old school dance party, so I have to end this! The first song is always "Beverly Hills" by Weezer. It signals the beginning. That and the screaming from the youths!

No comments: