7/23/08

Bald, with breast form, at the beach

We've just returned from a trip to the cottages (my parents have a cottage in Bayfield, Ontario, and Bill's parents have one in Grand Bend, Ontario)...we left the minute we were done with the swim team for the season. It ends up that being at the cottages is much more exciting for the kids these days than it is for me, and I have to say I am a little relieved to be home. I tried my best to make it fun for the kids - shoved the prosthetic breast form into my mastectomy bathing suit, put on my swim cap and swam in the waves with them - but the beach is just not the most wonderful place for a woman in my condition. I felt like a big weirdo, which I pretty much am, these days (and all days, but now it is just so much more evident). I am much more relaxed to be at home, bald and lopsided (even if it is a pit of despair of chores and cleaning-that-needs-to-be-done, because we left when I was just about over chemo yuckiness and hadn't yet totally recovered the house).

No comments: